Saturday 17 July 2010

A new obsession....

So it's Saturday which means business as usual in this household...tearing up the garden. Well to be fair today was more of a disaster recovery mission. We spent most of it hauling concrete and rubble out to the front and bagging up what was left. However, the really exciting bit was a very nice man named Collin came and paid me .25p per brick for some of my old patio bricks that we are getting rid of! So excited. Money you didn't expect and someone else is going to take away some of my mess. Top of my favorite people list. Even better he said he might need some more and will call me in the week.

Now while I was waiting for someone to pick up my ad on gumtree about the bricks and offer to buy them I started fretting that noone ever would. So I decided that quite frankly I was happy for anyone to take some off my hands. A bit of a brain wave and some lunchtime googling landed me on Freecycle. By no means a new phenomenon, but the first time I've really spent any time exploring it.

I'm by no means an eco-warrior tying myself to trees or not bathing to save the oceans, but I do my bit. Recycle everything I can, always switch off my computer at work when I leave, and try not to throw away perfectly useful things. That's why I love the idea of Freecycle. Someone needs something that you have, but it's sitting around collecting dust and you can give it to them so it has a new lease of life. Happy faces all around! After a short 30 minutes on my local group's site I not only had someone willing to take away some of the busted up concrete has hardcore for planters, but also found new homes for some more of the patio paving and some card paper I've had lying around for almost three years. I just love that I can help someone out and prevent stuff just piling up in the landfill. Plus it seems like, with my local group anyways, you could pretty much kit out your entire house without spending a dime. I can see myself spending a good bit of time on this site... Check out yours at http://www.freecycle.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment